Wellstreams Application Process
Applications for the next class of Wellstreams will begin to be accepted in Fall 2017. The 2016 application packet is posted here for information only. Please do not submit until the next application period begins.
Some Considerations for Applicants to Wellstreams
In discerning a program it is important to look for a process that matches one’s background and needs. The Wellstreams program is designed to help one to be faithful to one’s own spiritual journey and works with participants who are willing to engage in the kind of personal interior processing that is necessary for growth and development. Depending on which track is chosen after the first year, there will also be opportunities to acquire the knowledge and skills that are needed to share in another’s growth and development. The entire process will provide a safe place and some quality time to discern one’s readiness, desire, and ability for this ministry. Discernment, which is both a gift and an intentional attempt on one’s part to hear God’s call in one’s life, is best done within community.
The program admits selected participants who feel called to deepen their spiritual life. Applicants need to demonstrate a readiness for the program by:
- Satisfactory familiarity with one’s own theological, religious, or spiritual traditions as indicated by learning experiences and academic background as evidenced in written material and an oral interview
- Sufficient life experience to benefit from a training program of spiritual formation and development
- Currently in spiritual direction or willing to begin spiritual direction if one is accepted into the program
The first year is built around four core courses. These courses are about 50% academic and 50% process working with the question—“What does the content have to say to me about my own faith journey.” Successful completion of Phase One is necessary for entering into Phase Two.
At the end of the first year, there would be a discernment process for all to help each one determine the next step. There will be two available tracks offered for further development and training:
- Track One—For those who feel called to train for the ministry of spiritual direction, they will enter into practicum phase which will consist of opportunities to do spiritual direction under supervision while continuing to grow in the knowledge, skill and art of spiritual direction (Three more semesters required.)
- Track Two—For those who desire a deeper development of listening skills in daily life settings and various ministries in congregations such as prayer groups, Stephen ministers, etc. This track will join Track One for listening skills and other pertinent topics. (Three semesters required.)
Optional Sixth Semester
For those who would like to gain some additional knowledge and practice in group spiritual direction, small group facilitation, retreat ministry, etc.
- Tuition: $1,400 per semester for Phase One and Two (five semesters – 2 ½ years)
- For OPTIONAL sixth semester after Phase Two (pay as you go for whatever classes you select)
- Application Fee: $60 NONREFUNDABLE FEE WITH APPLICATION FORM
- Initial Payment: $375 is due upon acceptance into the program. This is applied to the first semester tuitions.
- Book Fees: There are some required books for each semester. You may purchase your own or order through the Wellstreams office and receive a 10% discount. Book fees vary by semester. Phase One books will cost about $90 per semester.
- Scholarships: You are encouraged to look for outside funding from local congregations and/or organizations which might benefit from your training. The Wellstreams office does provide some scholarships for those in financial need. This is determined by the board, one semester at a time.
For information about the Wellstreams Program: contact Amanda Cushing, 614/228-8867 or firstname.lastname@example.org